Saturday, December 12, 2009

French Toast Bliss

F is for French Toast

I'm not huge fan of French Toast but Scott really enjoys a good breakfast of French Toast. I decided to make him some this morning for some pretty selfish reasons. I wanted to take photos of the breakfast for my Food A-Z project.

Scott was pleased with his turn of luck and enjoyed his breakfast while giving me feedback on the photos I took of our breakfast.

French Toast Love

I used a recipe from my go-to cookbook, The McCall's Cookbook which is sadly out of print. My Mom has a her own copy and used it to make most everything when I was growing up. I found my own copy in an antique store years ago and snatched it up before the owners could realize what a treasure they had in their store.

Without further adieu, here is the French Toast recipe.

Mc'Call's French Toast

2 eggs, well beaten
3 Tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon sugar
dash of salt
dash of nutmeg
6 pieces of day-old white bread slices (I used challah bread)
butter
maple syrup

I also used powdered sugar for the topping.

1. In a shallow dish, combine eggs, milk, sugar, salt and nutmeg. Whisk together.

2. Add bread slices, one at a time, to egg mixture; let stand about 30 seconds on each side to coat completely.

3. In medium skillet, using about 1 Tablespoon butter, saute bread slice until golden on each side. 1 1/2 minutes in all.

4. Serve hot, sprinkled with powered sugar and nutmeg and covered with maple syrup.

No comments:

 
Rebecca Mongrain's Blog © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat