Friday, July 12, 2013

Blueberry Coffee Cake with Butter Vanilla Glaze

Fresh Blueberries

When Summer is in full season, I find myself with a plethora of blueberries. OK I'll admit that I always have blueberries around. They freeze really well and I like to buy big cartons of them at the store when they are on sale. But what I'm trying to say here is that I'm always looking for ways to use blueberries in my baked goods. Oh they are delicious on pancakes and the family does quite enjoy a delicious blueberry muffin, but sometimes I want to branch out. 

6:25 pm Cake is done! It smells good!#adayinthelifechallenge #adayinthelifephotochallenge

I found the most amazing looking blueberry coffee cake the other day and I knew I had to try making it at home. Of course, I also had to tweak the recipe a bit because that is what I do. 

Blueberry Coffee Cake Slice

You can find the original recipe here and it looks so good! Her photos are divine and her glaze turned out much better than mine. 

Blueberry Coffee Cake

Blueberry Coffee Cake with Butter Vanilla Glaze
Makes 8 to 10 servings

Ingredients

Cake: 
1 cup butter, room temperature (2 sticks)
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup sour cream
2 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cardamon
1/4 cup whole milk
1 cup blueberries

Glaze:
4 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons milk

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Prepare your 10-inch bundt pan by rubbing with butter and dusting with flour. 

2. Cream together the butter and sugar. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until smooth. Add the sour cream and beat until well combined. 

3. In a separate bowl, sift the dry ingredients together.  Slowly add to the wet batter and mix together. Add the milk and beat until smooth. 

4. Gently fold in the blueberries to the batter and transfer to the prepared bundt pan. 

5. Bake for 55 minutes or until your cake tester comes out clean. Cool in the bundt pan for approximately 1o minutes before turning over to continue cooling on a cooling rack. 

6. While the cake cools, prepare the glaze. In a small saucepan, melt the butter on low heat. 

7.  In a separate bowl, mix the powdered sugar and vanilla together. Slowly whisk in the melted butter. Thin out the glaze with milk (you might want to add more or less). Whisky until the glaze is smooth. 

8. Move the cooled cake to a cake plate and drizzle with the glaze. Serve warm. 

Tasty Blueberry Coffee Cake

No comments:

 
Rebecca Mongrain's Blog © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat