Friday, July 19, 2013

Eggs in Purgatory

Purgatory Eggs

I eat a lot of eggs but sometimes I get bored with the tradition fried or scrambled egg dish. Then I go out hunting for new ideas. I've seen this dish a few times on Pinterest and in my favorite cookbooks. One of my favorite celebrity recipe writers is Nigella Lawson so I always check out her site too. I found Eggs in Purgatory on her site and had to make it! 

Ready to Bake

It is a very filling dish but also low-carb if you skip the bread. It's quick to make and you get a nice serving of vegetables along the way. I think it is a great way to start out the day! Molly and I went on a nice hike with some friends after breakfast and this meal really got me through! I was barely hungry for lunch afterwards (but I made room). 

Eggs in Purgatory

Eggs in Purgatory
Makes 1 serving

Ingredients
1 Tablespoon olive oil
2-3 cloves of garlic (minced)
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1-15 oz can chopped tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 large eggs
2 Tablespoons grated parmesan
2 Tablespoons crumbled feta
2 slices crusty bread

Directions

1. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan with the minced garlic, red pepper flakes and Italian seasoning over medium heat for about a minute. 

2. Add the tomatoes and let the mixture come to a simmer. 

3. Add the eggs to the tomato mixture and sprinkle the Parmesan and Feta cheeses over the eggs. Cover with a lid and let it cook for about 5 minutes until the white is set. The yolk may still be runny. 

4. Remove from heat and serve with some nice crusty bread. I only had english muffins in the house which were delicious but I think a nice crusty french bread would be delicious! 

eggs

No comments:

 
Rebecca Mongrain's Blog © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat