Friday, August 16, 2013

Gluten Free Sweet Potato Mini Muffins

Sweet Potato GF Muffins

I recently had some friends in town and when they left, they dropped off some food they had left over from the weekend. The strangest thing that they dropped off was some jars of pureed sweet potato baby food. The wife said the husband read it was good as a snack after exercising. I said, Hmmm ok. I put the jars in the pantry and promptly forgot about them. Then this week a friend told me that she might have to go gluten-free and I got to thinking about lower carb muffins. I've been wanting to play around with non-traditional flours and I hate to let food languish in the pantry. I grabbed my almond flour and the sweet potato puree and started experimenting. 

I came up with this sweet potato, banana, carrot mini muffin that Molly devoured when she woke up from her nap. It does not have the same texture as a regular wheat muffin but I liked it. I might have had a few myself, for testing purposes. 

I'm trying out a new recipe index system from ReciPage so please excuse me if this looks funky. Do let me know what you think! I like that you can  print and email the recipes. 

Sweet Potato GF Muffin
Sweet Potato Gluten-Free Muffins
by Rebecca Mongrain
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
Keywords: bake snack gluten-free
Ingredients (24 mini muffins)
  • 2- 4 oz jars pureed sweet potato baby food (or 1 cup sweet potato puree)
  • 1 cup carrot, finely shredded
  • 1 medium banana
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 3/4 cup maple syrup
  • 1 1/2 cup almond flour
  • 1/2 cup coconut flour
  • 1/3 cup ground flax seed
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon cardamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Instructions
Preheat oven to 375F. Prep your mini muffin pan by greasing the cups with coconut oil. Set aside.
Using your food processor, puree the sweet potato puree, banana and shredded carrot together until smooth.
Add the vanilla, eggs, oil and maple syrup to the puree and process a few times.
In a separate bowl, mix together the almond flour, coconut flour, ground flax seed, baking soda, baking powder, spices and salt together. Briskly whisk together.
Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ones and stir until smooth.
Add a tablespoon or so of the mixture to your prepared muffin tin and bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick come out clean. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and let the muffins cool on a cooling rack.
Powered by Recipage

No comments:

 
Rebecca Mongrain's Blog © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat