Friday, August 02, 2013

Jammin' - Blueberry Jam

Blueberries

After our blueberry picking adventure last week, I got canning fever! I do this every few years. I announce to Scott that I am going to CAN EVERYTHING! I make lists and then I move into the kitchen to can. Through the steamy mist, Scott comes in to check my progress and mumble comments about how one can buy jam at the store or that salsa is great when fresh. I push on with my obsession and in the Winter months, Scott and I are quite pleased with our canned goods. Scott usually mumbles under this breath that the jam is better than store bought and that the salsa verde is really delicious. 

jars and lids

This year, I wasn't sure the obsession was going to hit between being pregnant and chasing Molly, the energetic toddler around. But it hit and it hit hard! I have plans to can five more different recipes but this past weekend, I decided to make Blueberry Jam. 

IMG_7476

Molly spent her time running around the kitchen while I was making the jam. Luckily she understands the word, "danger" and stayed to the far end of the kitchen when the jam really got boiling. Some friends happened to drop by right as my jam was hitting gel point so they watched me finish up the process. 

Jam

Blueberry Vanilla Jam
Makes 4 cups

Ingredients
8 cups blueberries
1  vanilla bean, split in half
2 cups sugar
1/4 cup bottle lemon juice (do not use fresh lemon use as the acid levels are not balanced)

Directions
1. Add the blueberries and vanilla bean with about 1/8 cup of water to a medium nonreactive saucepan. Bring to a boil while stirring and crushing the blueberries.  Stir in the sugar until it dissolves. Add the lemon juice and continue to boil until the jam  reaches gel point. This took me about 20 minutes. 
2. Remove from heat and let the jam rest for 5 minutes. Remove the vanilla bean at this point. Skim any foam. 
3. Using the boiling-water method, add the jam to half-pint canning jars. Leave a 1/4 inch of headspace. Wipe the rims clean and add the lids to the jar. Screw on the jar bands and process for 10 minutes. Turn off heat and let jars rest in the water for 5 minutes. Remove jars from water and set them aside on a clean towel for 24 hours. Check the seals and store in a cool, dark place for up to a year. If you do not have a strong seal, place in the fridge and use within 3 weeks. 

Resting Jam

No comments:

 
Rebecca Mongrain's Blog © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat