Friday, November 22, 2013

Brown Sugar Crock pot Applesauce

Applesauce2

Back in August, we visited a restaurant in Cannon Beach, OR that served the most delicious Applesauce I have ever had. It prompted me to ask the chef for the recipe and he graciously shared it with me. 

Being me, I tweaked it a bit (especially since his recipe called for 10 lbs of apples and made a gallon of applesauce) and decided to make it in the crockpot. I'm so happy with how it turned out and it makes a delicious sweet treat for Molly at dinner. Yes, it is heavy on the brown sugar but I'll be honest, that is what makes it so good!

Untitled

Brown Sugar Crock pot Applesauce
Makes 6 half pint jars

7 large apples (appox 3 lbs), peeled, chopped and cored (I used honey crisp but use your favorite)
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup brown sugar
1 Tablespoon bottled lemon juice
1/3 cup water

1. Assemble ingredients in the crock pot. 
2. Cook on high for 4 hours. 
3. Using an immersion blender or food processor, blend the apples until smooth. 
4. If canning: Ladle the applesauce into your clean half into canning jars. Wipe the rims clean and place lids on jars. Screw on jar bands and process in boiling water for 10 minutes. After letting the jars rest in the hot water for 5 minutes, remove and set on a towel for 24 hours. Check seals and store in a cool, dark place for up to a year. 

Applesauce

No comments:

 
Rebecca Mongrain's Blog © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat