Monday, February 10, 2014

Oatmeal Muffins

ToastedOatmeal2

During the lactation period, I start thinking a lot about oatmeal while trying to cram it into almost all of my meals. I make lots of lactation cookies, I eat oatmeal for breakfast, I consider ways to add oatmeal to almost every dish. I, sometimes, ok often get tired of oatmeal even though I really enjoy oatmeal.

oatmealmuffins

Orangette recently shared her recipe for Leftover Oatmeal Muffins and I got excited to try them out. I decided to add some brewer's yeast and ground flaxseed as both ingredients are good for lactation. 

muffins


These muffins came out smelling delicious and we gobbled up half of them before they had even cooled. I saved the rest for breakfast the next day and they were just as delicious. I've made two more batches of these muffins since I made the initial batch. 

add-ins


Leftover Oatmeal Muffins
Adapted from Orangette


Ingredients

1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
¼ cup sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1/4 cup chopped walnuts

1/4 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup peanut butter chips
1/4 cup brewer's yeast
2 Tablespoon ground flaxseed
1 large egg
1 cup cooked steel-cut oatmeal
1/2 cup whole milk
2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter


Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 400°F and grease a 12-cup muffin tin.
  2. Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, walnuts, chocolate and peanut butter chips, brewer's yeast and ground flaxseed. 
  3. In a separate bowl, beat the egg before adding oatmeal. Mash together and slowly add in the milk and butter. Stir to combine. 
  4. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir to combine. 
  5. Divide the batter evenly into the prepared muffin tin. Sprinkle the muffins with a light dusting of sugar. Bake for 15 minutes. Serve warm. 

leftoveroatmealmuffins

No comments:

 
Rebecca Mongrain's Blog © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat