Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Chickpea Curry Vegetable Stew

veggiecurrystew2

I was first introduced to this stew shortly after having Maggie. One of my friends called and told me that she wanted to bring me some food. She said she was bringing over a veggie stew that was not only delicious but also great for post-partum mothers (due to the fenugreek). I have to admit that I was apprehensive. I'm a die-hard meat eater and am unfairly suspicious of vegetarian fare. I am however not one to turn down a well intentioned act and so I took the soup. 


chickpeas

I had it for lunch that day as I was hungry and it was there. I took one bite and was won over. This is one stew that does not need meat at all. In fact, meat might just ruin the deliciousness of this dish.  Served over quinoa, this is a hearty, winter meal that I might just keep eating through the spring. 


spice

I ended up eating two huge bowls of this stew that day. I had the rest of the stew for lunch over the next few days and never shared a single bite with Scott. 


ingredients

When my turn came to bring a dish to a new mother from co-op, I quickly decided to make this stew. She raved about the stew and so I knew I needed to share it here. I made a few tweaks to my friend's recipe but only because I can't leave well enough alone. 
Chickpea Curry Vegetable Stew

by Rebecca Mongrain
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10-15 minutes
Ingredients (6 cups)
  • 2 cans chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
  • 2 cups chicken broth (substitute vegetable broth to make this vegetarian)
  • 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
  • 2 stalks celery, diced
  • 1 cup carrots, diced
  • 4 cups chopped kale (approx 1 bunch)
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp brown mustard seeds
  • 1 tsp ground coriander seeds
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin seeds
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
  • 1/2 tsp ground fennel seed
  • 1 tsp ground fenugreek seed
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • Fresh ground black pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk
Instructions
In a medium saucepan, heat the chickpeas, bay leaf and broth on medium heat.
Heat the olive oil on medium in a large dutch oven and sauté the garlic, ginger and mustard seeds for approximately 5 minutes.
To the dutch oven, add the sweet potatoes, carrots and celery. Sauté for 5 more minutes.
Add the spices and cook for a minute to heat through.
Add the kale and cook until it wilts.
Remove the bay leaf from the beans. Add the beans, broth and coconut milk to the dutch oven. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes until the veggies are tender.
Serve over Quinoa.
Powered by Recipage

sweetpotato

No comments:

 
Rebecca Mongrain's Blog © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat