Friday, July 25, 2014

Kale Caesar Salad with Fried Chicken

kalecaesarsalad

There is a salad that I crave. It's delicious and hearty and so good! I discovered it while pregnant with Maggie. I was out with Molly and famished. We stopped at Skillet for lunch and as I pondered their deliciously carb heavy menu, I noticed this Kale Caesar Salad. It was Low-Carb! I was intrigued and ordered it. I had them throw on some chicken to really fill me up. Now I secretly tempt Scott with visits to Skillet so I can order this salad. I decided to try to make my own so that I don't always have to go out for my fix. This was also the perfect salad for the over abundance of Kale that I have growing in my garden.  


kalecaesar

I adapted my salad recipe from The Skillet Cookbook and I think I got it pretty close to the real thing. This doesn't mean that my visits to The Skillet are going to fade anytime soon, they have plenty of delicious items on their menu for me to sample. I added some sriracha for a slight kick to the dressing and the fried chicken is an old family recipe that I've been making since I was a kid. I've always loved fried chicken. 


kalecaesardressing
Kale Caesar with Friend Chicken

by Rebecca Mongrain
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Ingredients (1-2 large salads)
    Croutons
    • 2 cups day-old bread cut into 1-inch cubes
    • 2 tablespoons olive oil
    • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    Caesar Dressing
    • 1 small cloves garlic, minced
    • 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon anchovy paste
    • 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
    • 1 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
    • 1/2 teaspoon dijon-style mustard
    • 1/4 teaspoon sriracha
    • 1/2 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
    • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
    • 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
    • 1/2 tablespoon coarsely ground pepper
    Salad
    • 1 pound Kale, stems discarded and leaves cut into ribbons
    • 8 plain anchovy fillets
    Fried Chicken
    • 1/2 lb chicken breast, cut into strips
    • 1/2 cup flour
    • 2 teaspoons baking powder
    • 2 teaspoons salt
    • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
    • 1 egg
    • 1/2 cup milk
    • olive oil
    Instructions
    Croutons
    1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
    2. Toss the bread cubes with olive oil, salt and pepper until well coated.
    3. Place the bread cubes on a baking sheet in a single layer and bake for 10 minutes. Set aside and allow to cool.
    Dressing
    1. In a large bowl, mash the garlic with the salt until it forms a paste.
    2. Add the anchovy paste, lemon zest, lemon juice, dijon mustard, Worcestershire, sriracha, mayonnaise, parmesan and pepper. Stir well to combine.
    Fried Chicken
    1. Slowly heat olive oil (or vegetable oil) in a deep skillet to 350F.
    2. Sift the flour with the baking powder, salt and pepper; set aside.
    3. Whip the eggs with the milk; set aside.
    4. Coat the chicken with the flour mixture and set aside.
    5. Mix the remaining flour mixture and egg mixture together. Coat the chicken again with the flour/egg mixture.
    5. Deep fry a few pieces of chicken at a time until golden brown, making sure to flip the pieces occasionally. Drain well on paper towels.
    To assemble the salad
    Toss the kale with the dressing. Scatter croutons and chicken strips over the kale before topping with anchovies. Enjoy!
    Powered by Recipage
    croutons


    kalecaesarsaladkitchen

    No comments:

     
    Rebecca Mongrain's Blog © 2013.

    Design by The Blog Boat