Thursday, September 04, 2014

Pinterest Thursday - Growing Green Onions from Green Onions

onions

I thought it would be fun to try out this Pin on Pinterest with Molly. Supposedly you can grow some foods from certain table scraps. With this in mind, I grabbed the ends of some scallions after dinner one night and told Molly about my plan. We put a bit of water in a jar and plopped three green onions inside. They weren't anything special. In fact, I'm not even sure if they were organic scallions.

greenonions2

greenonions1

Then we waited a few weeks. I changed out the water daily (ok sorta daily) and carefully watched for results. 

Untitled


It took awhile and we had a failure rate of 2 out of 3 but we got one green onion to grow! It was a fun experiment but if you really need some scallions for dinner, I'd suggest visiting the grocery store for faster results. Also my green onion got a little moldy. I'm going to plant it outside to see if it keeps on growing. 

onions2

No comments:

 
Rebecca Mongrain's Blog © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat