Thursday, June 04, 2015

May Book Report

Untitled

After sharing my April Book Report angst, May redeemed itself in a big way. I read three books and made a nice dent in a fourth.

Untitled

I started off with a book I've been meaning to read since I was pregnant with Maggie. Waiting for Birdy was hilarious. There were quite a few times that I woke Scott up because I was laughing so hard while reading in bed. I'd highly recommend this book if you are having a baby, having your fourth or just like humorous writing about parenting. It's heartfelt, true and so, so funny.

Untitled

This Is Where I Leave You is told from the view point of a man who has just found his wife cheating on him with his boss, whose father has just died and has been told he needs to sit shiva with his estranged family. Yet, this book was also hilarious. Scott kept asking me why I was laughing so hard while reading this and I often couldn't answer because I had gone to that place where you start silently laughing while tears roll down your face. The story is a bit cliche - wife cheats on husband, husband's father dies, life goes horribly wrong - but the way it is told in such a unique way that I couldn't put it down. I didn't want this book to end but it did. I was left a bit bereft as I searched for my next book to read.

Untitled

I have no idea who or where I found the recommendation to read, The Room but I'm so glad I put it on my library hold list. The best way to describe this book is Fight Club for Work. Bjorn is a Swedish bureaucrat who discovers a secret room at work. No one else in his department will acknowledge the existence of the room and eventually his co-workers become fed up with Bjorn's behavior. They join together to get him fired but somehow the tables get turned on them. I read this book in one night when our internet was out. It was such a great way to spend an evening and this book left me shaking my head.

Untitled

A friend recommended this book on a walk around Greenlake. She said that Station Eleven was the perfect apocalyptic tale and while I'm only 12% into the book, I can honestly say that it is! Look for my full report on this book, next month.

You can see all my book reports here.

No comments:

 
Rebecca Mongrain's Blog © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat