Tuesday, July 14, 2015

June Book Report

Untitled

My Summer reading has been sparked by the Summer Book Bingo program from the Seattle Public Library.  The premise is that you read books in the listed categories and when you get BINGO, you submit your card for a prize. I plan to fill out my card completely before submitting it. 

Untitled

I first finished Station 11 this month. I loved this book. It's set in America after a horrible flu epidemic where most of the population has been wiped out. The story follows a traveling band of actors and musicians as they travel along the Great Lakes giving performances long after the epidemic has faded but its effects has not. The way this tale is woven and told is amazing. I highly recommend this book! 

Untitled

The next book I read was The Martian which was such a thrilling read. I held my breath through most of the novel. Astronaut Mark Watney is left behind when his crew mates make a quick exit from Mars. He has to quickly figure out how to survive on Mars or perish alone. The way he deals with this is both hilarious and eye-opening. There is a lot of humor and science in this book. I can not wait to see the movie. I'm so excited for it. 

Untitled

The Lifeboat was a recommendation from some magazine Summer book list and I'm so glad that I read it. It tells the story a recently married woman who survives a cruise ship sinking right after the outbreak of WWII. Her husband is last seen getting her onto the lifeboat and the book tells of her ordeal and aftermath of being on The Lifeboat. This was such a quick and enthralling read. I read it in one day while on vacation at the beach. 

Now I need to get back to my BINGO card. I have a few more spaces to fill out. 

You can see all of my previous book reports here

No comments:

 
Rebecca Mongrain's Blog © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat