Sunday, February 21, 2016

Girl Scout Dog (& Chicken) Cookies

DogCookies2

**EDIT** I am in the TOP 5 for the WW Girl Scout DOG Cookie Contest for this recipe! I'd love your vote! Vote HERE: http://www.girlscoutsww.org/en/cookies/about-girl-scout-cookies/girl-scout-cookie-recipe-contest.html

The Girl Scouts of Western Washington hold a recipe contest every year. I've been participating in it for the past few years and love the yearly challenge. I may not have placed in the top 5 this year but I did get in the top 10 which is HUGE. I was thrilled when they announced that this year they would also be holding a DOG cookie contest. Before I met Scott, I was a crazy dog-sitter. I watched everyone's dogs. I LOVED dog sitting and while I don't currently have a dog, I am plotting for when we get a dog. Scott is such a kind man and has slowly watched me fill up his life with critters. We now have chickens that he was dead set against because I convinced him that it was a good idea. He is still not 100% convinced by I know that he likes them. He even takes care of them for me when I'm out of town or not home to put them away. He asks about them every day and loves eating their eggs. 

DogCookies


So when I decided to take on this dog cookie challenge, I knew I wanted to make something that could be eaten by the critters around my house which meant I made a cookie that works for both dogs and chickens. Dogs and Chickens both love peanut butter and pumpkin which made the base of my cookie along with oats. My chickens go nuts for oats. As I was thinking about this recipe, I was inspired by the Rah-Rah Raisins which are so good! But remember, no raisins for our canine friends. I decided the string the cookies up because honestly my chickens have gotten a bit bored over the winter. They've spent many a day in their coop looking out at the drenching rain and clucking in misery. 

DogCookies3


These cookies not only provided some great nutrition for my birds (and would do the same for my pretend dog) but also gave them a bit of excitement. And when you have the brain the size of a pebble, cookies on some kitchen twine can be the highlight of your day. 

The Girl Scout Dog Cookie Contest spotlights the work of the Seattle Humane Society which is a charity supported by many Girl Scouts on a personal level. Sadly pets can not consume Girl Scout Cookies but who says they need to be left out of the fun? Many local Girl Scouts use their cookie money to donate to Seattle Humane, and share their time and resources to help give pets a chance to find forever homes and to provide their owners with the best support possible. Girls get to decide where to use the money they earn by selling cookies. Seattle Humane is an important recipient of that generosity. Now get out there and bake for your furry (and clucky) friends! 

DogCookies5

Peanut Butter & Pumpkin Cookies for Chickens and Dogs

by Rebecca Mongrain
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Ingredients (50 cookies)
  • 3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 2 Tablespoons peanut butter
  • 1 cup pureed pumpkin
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 Tablespoon molasses
  • 3 teaspoons honey
Instructions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Whisk whole wheat pastry flour, rolled oats and dried basil together in a large mixing bowl.
Mix the peanut butter, pureed pumpkin, eggs, molasses and honey together in a small bowl.
Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well.
Roll out dough on a floured surface to 1/2" thickness. Use cookie cutters to cut out shapes.
Place on a cookie sheet with a silipat mat and bake for 30 minutes.
Cool completely.
If serving to chickens, string on some kitchen twine and hang in their coop.
For dogs, store extra treats in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.
Powered by Recipage


No comments:

 
Rebecca Mongrain's Blog © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat