Thursday, April 14, 2016

March Book Report


I've been on a reading streak lately and I've never been happier. I read 5 1/2 books in March which felt astounding. 


First up, was The Green Road by Anne Enright and it was beautifully dysfunctional and made my heart soar. Enright talks about family in such a way that you are enveloped in it. As usual, the setting of this book is in Ireland which made it a wee bit more romantic for me but as she details the family's trials and tribulations, I was both sighing and cheering for them. I'd highly recommend this book! 


Then I tried to read The 10 Letters Project by Jen Lee and Time Manley and had to abandon it. It was boring and trite and just not good. I was very disappointed too because this book received a lot of great press and I wanted to love it. Sadly after reading almost half the book and feeling like I was slogging through it, I ditched it and moved on. 


After the 10 Letters Project, I needed something quick and good so I picked up Jane, the Fox & Me by Fanny Britt & Isabelle Arsenault. I loved this stunning graphic novel and poured over the pictures as much as the words. This is more of a young adult focused book but I still really enjoyed it. 


The Notorious RBG by Irin Carmon and Shana Kruzhnik was awesome! I've always loved Ruth Bader Ginsburg but after reading this book, I'm a devoted fan. RBG is a bad ass and this book just backed up that belief. I loved reading about her career before the supreme court and her career since then. I want everyone to read this book! 


Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert was seriously life changing for me. I listened to the first half of the book on my way to the Made to Create Photography Retreat and it put me in the frame of mind for creativity.  I finished it while washing the dishes. I loved all of her stories. I loved how she focused on accepting failure. I loved it all. And I honestly didn't expect to because I HATED EAT, PRAY, LOVE. Hated it! But Big Magic. Big Magic was awesome. 


I laughed my way through Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson. Otherwise known as the bloggess, Lawson is hilarious and had the best stories. I found this book to be both funny and touching. Lawson talks a lot about her mental illness and makes it a topic that is ok to discuss.

I'm on a book reading tear for April too! I've already read four books and have stayed up way too late reading them. What are you reading? I need more book recommendations! 

No comments:

 
Rebecca Mongrain's Blog © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat