Monday, May 09, 2016

2016 Garden

peppers

My garden has already changed so much since it was featured on NW Healthy Mama back in April. A few weekends ago, I gathered plants for my spring planting, finally got a trellis for my peas and did some mad weeding. I also ripped out the kale plants from the winter. The chickens had eaten their fill of kale and the plants went to seed when the weather warmed up so quickly.

wildcarrots

I planted the carrots in early January and they are looking quite big so I'll be harvesting them soon. Luckily my kids love carrots so we'll be devouring them quickly. 

Gardenbed

I planted some beans, corn, zucchini, squash and peppers a few weeks ago and they are all growing so fast. I have low expectations for the corn but thought it would be fun for the kids. I had some extra space in the garden bed and so threw caution to the wind. This year, I also bought a few more tomato plants than usual. I love tomatoes and I'm hoping for a hot summer for strong tomato production. 

sunflowers1

This past weekend, I was gifted some sunflower plants from my Buy Nothing group and thinned out my herb garden area. That is one area of the yard that goes from mellow to OVERgrown so quickly.

sage

The sage continues to be overgrown and gigantic with bits of mint sprinkled it. The thyme has really taken off with our Spring heat. Yum! 

peartree

My pear tree is looking good. I have a great water irrigation wrap for it that I plan to get on sometime this week. 

overgrown blueberries

One area of the yard that I need to take care of is the blueberry, tagberry and strawberry area. The weeds are growing like mad and I haven't had a chance to get out there and clear some space for these poor plants. They are looking gorgeous with tons of flowers which is giving me great hope! 

beans

chickens

The chickens are still doing well and were even given the chance to roam the garden a bit while I did a big clean out of their coop. It's on my list to get them a much better run built. I have all the supplies and plans done, I just need to get it done. I currently have a bird net over their janky run as they quickly learned how to fly out and go on adventures. I'm not comfortable with free-range chickens in my neighbor's yards so bird net it is! 

What are you growing in your garden this year? 

No comments:

 
Rebecca Mongrain's Blog © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat