Monday, September 26, 2016

August Book Report

I spent most of August in a panic about getting a blackout on my Seattle Public Library 2016 Summer Book Bingo. I read 8 books and three of them were re-reads which was awesome. I'm now at 47 books read for the year which is utterly amazing to me. 



My first book was The Road to Little Dribbling by Bill Bryson which was a bit disappointing. I laughed hysterically at the beginning but Bill is getting old and grumpy and it showed. I did enjoy reading about England though as I do so love that place. 



I re-read The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett and was quickly brought back to my childhood. I remember wanting my Mom to read me the book before bed and her making me read it to myself. I love this book and it will always make me happy to read. 


Another re-read was Harry Potter by JK Rowling which was amazing! I read it in one night and now I want to re-read the entire series. I have a long to be read book pile right now so it might be awhile but I'm going to read this again. 



I listened to The One in a Million Boy by Monica Wood and WOW! This book was amazing. The story was so good. I loved hearing about how a young boy and a 100 year old woman became friends. It was great. 



I read Two Boys Kissing by David Levithan for the Banned Books category and ehhh, it was ok. I just wasn't into the book. It was well written but not really for me. 



I bought The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman last Christmas and never got around to reading it. I was kicking myself for taking so long. This tale of a girl and her magical Mom and Grandma at the end of the lane was fascinating and amazing. 


For the Young Adult category, I read Wolf Hollow by Lauren Wolk. This book had been hyped to me all summer and it really lived up to the hype. I loved reading about this community and how it came together for the children who lived there. 


I've read The Little Prince by Antonie de Saint Exupery but needed a book that was translated from another language. This one was short and while it is a classic, I always feel like I'm missing something from the story. The girls and I watched the new Netflix movie of it which is great and I'd highly recommend it. 




No comments:

 
Rebecca Mongrain's Blog © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat