Thursday, June 22, 2017

Garden Update

Untitled

Every year my garden grows a bit more. Scott teases me that soon our backyard will just be raised boxes. I love the process of gardening so much. I love watching things grow. I however am not that enamored with the pest control or weeding. I am ok with the harvest but that does not make my soul sing. My excitement comes from planning my garden and watching it grow. 

Untitled

After a fitful start, the peas are huge and producing so much. I have to remember to get out there everyday to pick some peas. Some of the peas are hiding so I have to take some time to find all the plump peas. 

Untitled

My tomatoes and tomatillo plants are flowering and I can't wait to eat their sweet cherries. I stuck to the small tomatoes this year since that is what I really enjoy eating. I can't wait to see what happens with the tomato/potato plants! 

Untitled

The squash are spreading out. Their leaves are green and strong. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. 

Untitled

I made a rookie mistake and planted my lettuce seeds too close and planted too many. The chickens are enjoying the fruits of my labor. There is more lettuce than I can hope to eat. 

Untitled

My poor brassicas have gotten attacked by caterpillars. My friend Katie helped me out with some tips. I've been out twice a day searching for caterpillars to feed to the chickens.

Untitled

The rosemary needs to be hacked back and the mint is trying to take over but all in all, I am so proud of my garden! I'm planning to do a bit more planting next week of some short season vegetables. Hopefully they'll thrive! 




No comments:

 
Rebecca Mongrain's Blog © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat