Monday, March 12, 2018

Down Under Adventure!

Untitled

Last month, the Mongrains headed to Sydney, Australia which was literally a dream trip for me. I've been dreaming of heading down under since I was 8 years old when I had a giant Koala stuffed animal collection and sang Kookaburra Sits in The Old Gum Tree and Waltzing Matilda on repeat. 


Untitled

Scott has to go to Sydney for work quite often and after missing his first trip there, I announced that we'd make it work the next time and we did. I don't believe in pulling kids out of school for many reasons but this trip of a lifetime had me pulling Molly out faster than she could blink. 


Untitled

I was very worried about how we would handle the 15.5 hour plane ride. I knew I would be able to entertain myself but I wasn't sure about the girls. They did amazing! We took a short jet ride from Seattle to Vancouver where we had a 4 hour layover. We used that time to grab dinner, fill up our water bottles and stroll around a bit. We sat at our gate for awhile and I found a fellow passenger's passport and tickets. I kept my eye out for him and when he came rushing back to the gate, I was able to hand him his stuff with a smile. He was quite appreciative. 


Untitled

As for the plane ride, we were able to endure the second 15.5 hour ride with style. I packed a few new toys to keep the kids entertained which worked well combined with the inflight entertainment system and the constant delivery of food. We also scored a red-eye flight which meant we slept a fair amount. 


Untitled

We landed at 11 a.m. and I quickly put everyone on Sydney's schedule to avoid jet lag. We took a taxi from the airport to our hotel before heading out to find some lunch options. We stayed at the Notvotel Darling Harbour which was located across the street from a shopping centre and two blocks away from a ferry dock. It also had the best breakfast buffet and every morning when I wake up and it is not available in my home, I am mad. 


Untitled

After eating at Grill'd (which had some amazing burgers!), we opted to  jump aboard a Hop On, Hop Off bus. I love Hop On, Hop Off buses when visiting a new location. Yes, they can be a bit cheesy and overly touristy but I love how they quickly allow me to get my bearings and provide a broad overview of a city. We road through Sydney and I mentally made notes of places I wanted to visit over the next 10 days. Maggie fell asleep on the bus so we decided to hop off near our hotel and head back to our room. Everyone else was able to stay up until about 8 p.m. when we drifted off for the night. 


Untitled

Untitled

On our second day in Sydney, we headed out of the city to The Blue Mountains with a tour group. Our tour guide, Dave was hilarious and kept us entertained. The Blue Mountains are about an hour west of the city and are covered in eucalyptus forests giving them a blueish hue. Our first stop was at Featherdale Wildlife Park, a wildlife conservatory where my childhood dream of petting a Koala came true. Scott quickly rushed me to the "Pet a Koala and Photography" area. He laid out the absurd amount of money required for this venture and I GOT TO PET A KOALA. Our koala was named Victor and I don't think he cared about us at all. Ha! I, however was on cloud nine and my kids were amused by my excitement. Featherdale Wildlife Park is packed full of amazing animals including kangaroos, wallabies, crocodiles, Australian birds and all sorts of other animals. After Featherdale Wildlife Park, we headed toward the Blue Mountains. It was a long ride but a beautiful one and The Blue Mountains were breathtaking. At Scenic World on top of the mountains, we took two gondolas before embarking on a ride up the steepest railroad in the world. I was a bit (ALOT) terrified as we headed straight up the mountain on the railroad. 

Blue Mountains
After lunch and a ride back down the mountain, our tour guide dropped us off at the Sydney Olympic Park where the 2000 Summer Olympics were held. From there we hopped aboard a passenger ferry to head back to Circular Quay. It was the first of many ferry rides, we'd enjoy over our trip. I often lamented, Why doesn't Seattle offer ferry rides like this? as we rode around. I know we have some passenger ferries but they are cumbersome and not easy to take. Sydney's ferries were abundant and easy to ride. Sydney has an extensive train system, buses, soon a light rail system and, my favorite way to travel through Sydney, passenger ferries which sail over Sydney Harbour offering spectacular views of Sydney. Rideshare bikes were also abundant and unlike Seattle, most provided helmets for their riders to use. 


Untitled
We spent our second day in Sydney, just walking. We took the ferry to Circular Quay and walked through the The Royal Botanic Garden, into St. Mary’s Cathedral (which wasn’t even finished until the early 2000s) and through Hyde Park. We snagged ice cream at the ice cream truck outside the church. We would soon discover that these ice cream trucks could be found all over the city. We ambled through the New South Wales Museum where Maggie announced some paintings were inspirational and others were not. We had a great day just roaming the city. 


Untitled
The next day was Monday which meant Scott went to work. The girls and I walked him to work and then stopped at a grocery store for breakfast and snacks. The girls were dying to play so we headed to the Children's Playground at Darling Quarter where the kids played most of the day. The playground is giant and had multiple swings, a zip line, a large climber and two water splash areas. Scott met us after work for dinner at Betty’s Burgers where I had a fried mushroom burger with gouda and gruyére cheese. It was so good! Like most of the food in Sydney, our meal was crazy expensive though. 


Untitled
Food is expensive in Australia yet so fresh and so good. A simple lunch of three sandwich entrees with drinks was usually around $65. To combat food prices, I started making everyone eat at our hotel’s breakfast buffet. The buffet was $30 for me and free for the kids. I'm still dreaming of this buffet that included the most amazing eggs, delicious yogurts, all kinds of breads and breakfast sweets along with sausages, mushrooms and more. We would seriously load up at breakfast and still be full at lunch. The kids loved this because I'd often let them just have ice cream for lunch. It was all we could fit in after that amazing breakfast buffet. 


Untitled
The girls and I headed to Taronga Zoo later in the week. Built on the side of a hill with access via gondola, the zoo opened in 1916 and provides exceptional views of the city. I loved arriving via ferry and checking out all the animals. We spent most of our day exploring the zoo and having a grand time. 


Untitled

Untitled
Throughout the week, we also took a ferry to Manly Beach where we swam in one of the many sea pools. The Fairy Bower Sea Pool is not large but is such a great experience. Built by local residents in 1929, the pool is one of a number of historic pools cut and blasted along the New South Wales coast. Molly suffered her first jellyfish sting on the shores of Manly Beach. The sweetest Australian came to our rescue and helped flush Molly's leg with fresh water. I then found a shower and flushed it some more. After about an hour, she was back to her old self and chatting about her brush with the jellyfish. 


Luna Park

Untitled
One day, we visited Luna Park for some old school amusement park fun. Located at Milsons Point, Luna Park Sydney is just 600 meters from the Sydney Harbour Bridge. The original Luna Park was built in 1935 and has undergone a series of closing, renaming and openings over the years. I bought two ride tickets for the girls and off we went. There was a re-make of Cooney Island where Maggie made me go down the scariest slide of my life. Molly filmed my fear and we laughed for hours about it. 


Untitled

Bondi Beach
After a week with just the girls, Scott finished up with work and was able to join us on our final adventures in Sydney for the weekend. We got up on Saturday and made the long journey to Bondi Beach. We walked from our hotel to the trail station and then took a bus for the final leg. Bondi Beach is one of Australia’s most iconic beaches and is gorgeous. The nearby Icebergs ocean pool is open year-round with admission open to visitors for a small fee. Scott marched us up and around the shores of Bondi before stopping at a beach where the kids were finally able to dive in. Unfortunately the rip tide flags were out so I didn't let them go in farther than their ankles. They were not impressed with me but I like living children so it was what it was. We played on the beach for awhile before using one of the many shower facilities to get cleaned up and changed into dry clothing. We made the hike back to the main part of Bondi Beach and found a place to get fish and chips. We took an Uber back to the hotel and started packing up for our trip home. 


Untitled
I was not ready to come home at all. Seattle was cold and dreary. Sydney was bright and sunny. Who can resist enjoying summer in the midst of their winter? I am dreaming of our next trip and plotting ways to live in Sydney. We had such an amazing time and the girls were great travelers. I am honestly proud of great the kids did on our trip. They embraced all the new things coming at them and took them in stride. They did their best to be kind and did not get lost. All in all, great attributes! 
Untitled

No comments:

 
Rebecca Mongrain's Blog © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat